If you‘re a new or growing Amazon FBA seller, you may be wondering whether it‘s worth investing in an Amazon FBA coach or consultant. I‘ve asked myself this question many times over my 10+ years successfully selling on Amazon. In my experience, both coaches and consultants can provide tremendous value – but in different ways. Keep reading for my expert guidance on when to hire each type of expert.
At a Glance: Should You Hire an FBA Coach or Consultant?
To quickly summarize the key differences:
- Coaches provide hands-on guidance and mentorship to help you launch a new FBA business.
- Consultants use data analysis and research to optimize and scale an existing FBA business.
- If starting out, hire a coach to help select products, set up your account and guide your launch.
- As an established seller, hire a consultant to boost conversions, expand your brand and increase sales.
- Some experts offer a blend of coaching and consulting services.
Let‘s delve deeper into what each type of professional does to determine which is the best fit for your Amazon FBA goals and current business stage.
Hands-On Assistance: The Role of an Amazon FBA Coach
As an experienced FBA seller, I‘ve worked with several talented FBA coaches over the years. The right coach provides invaluable hands-on guidance when you‘re first launching or growing your Amazon brand.
How an Amazon FBA Coach Helps Your Business
A skilled FBA coach becomes your mentor, available to answer questions and provide personalized step-by-step assistance with:
- Product research & selection – Use their industry connections and tools to identify profitable products.
- Account setup & optimization – Ensure you have the right settings and structure from day one.
- Listing creation & SEO – Optimize listings for maximum visibility on Amazon search.
- Inventory management – Strategize sending and storing inventory in Amazon‘s warehouses.
- Pricing strategies – Leverage data to price competitively and maximize sales.
- Advertising and promotions – Set up PPC, email and social media marketing.
- Performance tracking – Monitor key metrics using reports and software.
- Ongoing education – FBA best practices training through regular coaching calls.
According to my experience, the greatest benefit of an FBA coach is having an expert guide you through the early stages of selling on Amazon.
When Should You Hire an Amazon FBA Coach?
Based on working with both new and experienced sellers, I recommend investing in a coach when:
- You‘re launching your first product or brand on Amazon.
- You sell on other platforms and want guidance expanding onto Amazon.
- Your existing Amazon brand needs a refresh. A coach can help overhaul product selection, listings, etc.
- You know your product but need operational assistance with account setup, shipping, etc.
- You want regular training and access to ask questions as you learn FBA.
If any of those scenarios describe your current business, the hands-on approach of an FBA coach will provide immense value.
Vetting and Selecting an Amazon FBA Coach
Not all FBA coaches are created equal. Over the years, I‘ve developed a process for researching and selecting high-quality coaches:
- Start with referrals – Ask for recommendations from other sellers or online communities.
- Verify expertise and specialties – Ensure they have extensive experience specifically relevant to your needs.
- Check reviews – Look for consistently positive feedback from current and past clients.
- Interview coaches – Have exploratory calls to evaluate communication skills and coaching style.
- Compare pricing – Calculate the ROI of their fees based on expected business growth.
Following this process has helped me avoid ineffective coaches and find experts that met my business‘ needs.
Strategic Insights: The Role of an Amazon FBA Consultant
In addition to working with FBA coaches, as my Amazon brand grew, I leveraged consultants to provide strategic insights and optimization.
How an Amazon FBA Consultant Helps Your Business
Amazon FBA consultants offer a more analytical, data-driven approach:
- Conduct assessments – Audit listings, account health, advertising performance, etc.
- Research market trends – Identify growing categories and optimization opportunities.
- Analyze data – Review reports to uncover issues impacting conversions, profits, etc.
- Develop strategic plans – Use insights to create targeted solutions to improve results.
- Provide recommendations – Suggest specific changes to listings, advertising, pricing, etc.
- Optimize PPC – Regularly fine-tune PPC campaigns based on metrics to maximize ROI.
- Stay updated – Monitor changes to Amazon‘s algorithm and policies to adjust strategies.
Their meticulous analysis and big-picture perspective pushed my business to the next level.
When Should You Hire an Amazon FBA Consultant?
Based on my experience, hiring a consultant yields the greatest ROI when you:
- Have an established brand but sales plateaued or declined. A consultant can identify issues and opportunities for improvement.
- Want to significantly expand your Amazon business. Their strategies can help you scale profitably.
- Notice changes in your Amazon search placement or sales. A consultant can pinpoint causes and solution.
- Have the budget to invest in expert analysis of your business performance. Their fees quickly pay for themselves through increased profits.
Vetting and Selecting an Amazon FBA Consultant
I take a rigorous approach to choosing consultants to work with as well:
- Verify their Amazon selling experience – I look for 5+ years working specifically with FBA sellers.
- Review analysis examples – Request samples of the assessments and reports they produce.
- Discuss their process – How often will they review data and check in? I prefer at least monthly.
- Compare packages – Monthly retainers give you more access compared to hourly consulting.
- Check ROIs – Calculate potential profit increases compared to their fees. Top consultants have delivered 10X+ ROI for my brands.
Taking the time to thoroughly vet consultants ensures you get the most value from their insights and expertise.
Weighing Your Options as an FBA Seller
As you evaluate whether to hire a coach, consultant or both, here are some tips from my experience:
- Outline your business goals and current challenges. This helps determine which type of experts can provide the most value.
- Consider your budget, but know the investment can pay off exponentially if you choose the right professional.
- For a new seller, start with an FBA coach to help get set up successfully.
- As you grow, add a consultant to keep scaling through ongoing optimization. Their strategies compound over time.
- Some professionals offer a blend of coaching and consulting. This comprehensive approach may suit your needs.
- Leverage free vetting calls to assess communication styles and expertise before committing.
Make the Right Choice for Your Amazon FBA Goals
After over a decade excelling on Amazon, I‘ve seen firsthand the immense value both FBA coaches and consultants provide. While their approaches differ, partnering with the right expert can help any seller start, optimize or scale their business. By understanding the unique benefits of each, you can make the ideal choice to meet your specific goals and take your FBA success to new heights.