As an experienced Amazon seller, I can tell you confidently that stellar copywriting is one of the most crucial ingredients for product listing success on Amazon. But what makes "great" Amazon copy that converts browsers into loyal customers? After analyzing thousands of top-performing listings, I‘ve identified two standout qualities:
- Writing for both customers and Amazon‘s A10 algorithm
- Seamlessly incorporating relevant keywords
Listings that master these two skills attract more clicks, increase conversion rates, boost sales, and build brand loyalty. In this comprehensive guide, I‘ll break down exactly how to leverage these techniques to take your product copy to the next level.
Why Amazon Copywriting Matters
Before we dive in, it‘s important to understand the outsized impact copy has on an Amazon listing‘s performance. While images, reviews, pricing and more play a role, the words on your page do the heavy lifting when it comes to persuading customers. Exceptional copywriting:
- Grabs attention with compelling titles and formatted bullet points
- Clearly communicates your product‘s value and benefits
- Builds trust and credibility through social proof and expertise
- Guides customers through your sales funnel with strategic calls-to-action
According to convincing data from Digital Commerce 360, product pages with excellent copywriting see conversion rate improvements between 15-55% on average. For listings with subpar copy, it‘s not uncommon to see 75% fewer purchases.
The bottom line? Copywriting has a direct, measurable impact on your Amazon sales. That‘s why nailing these two fundamental qualities is so critical.
Writing for Customers and Amazon‘s Algorithm
When crafting your listing copy, you‘re actually writing for two audiences simultaneously:
These are the people viewing your listing page and deciding whether to buy your product. They want simple, benefit-focused language that relates to their needs.
Amazon‘s A10 Algorithm
This bot determines where you rank in Amazon‘s search results. To maximize visibility, you need keywords and SEO best practices.
Balancing these goals takes finesse. But listings that master this duality reap major rewards in sales and conversions.
Here are some proven techniques:
Use Simple, Conversational Language
- Avoid obscure jargon and technical terms
- Explain features/benefits clearly
- Write like you‘re speaking to a friend
BAD: Our thermoplastic elastomers offer best-in-class tensile strength. GOOD: These yoga mats are extremely durable, meaning they won‘t stretch out or sag over time.
Highlight Key Features and Benefits Upfront
- Lead bulleted lists with important capabilities
- Use power action words like "reduce," "enjoy," "simplify"
- SLEEP BETTER: Luxurious cotton and microfiber provide unrivaled comfort all night long. - SAVE MONEY: Reusable construction eliminates need for expensive disposable filters.
Use Headings and Formatting Strategically
- Guide readers with descriptive headers and subheaders
- Make copy scannable with bullets, bold, caps, etc.
- Break up dense paragraphs
## Slip-Resistant Safety Grippy rubber outsoles provide stability during intense workouts, preventing slips and falls. You can stick moves with total confidence.
Optimize for Keywords…But Don‘t Overdo It
- Research keywords and incorporate them naturally
- Use top keywords in title, bullets, and headers
- Vary synonyms to prevent repetition
Chew Toys for Aggressive Chewers Like Pitbulls and Bulldogs - Long-Lasting: Durable natural rubber stands up to serious chewing - Cleans Teeth: Tough texture helps remove plaque and tartar
These techniques require an artful balance – but with testing and optimization, your listings can effectively attract customers AND rank highly in Amazon search.
Incorporating Relevant Keywords Naturally
Conducting thorough keyword research gives you the terms and phrases to seamlessly weave into your listing copy. Here are some best practices:
- Include your top 2-3 keywords in the title and first few bullets. These have extra weight.
- Work a primary keyword or synonym into each bullet point.
- Use long-tail variations in your paragraph descriptions.
Ergonomic Office Chair for Back Pain (keywords) - CUSTOMIZABLE COMFORT: Adjustable settings provide tailored lumbar support and pain relief. (long-tail variation)
- Mention important specs like brands, materials, and complementary accessories.
- Reference customer usage occasions like "road trips," "at the office," etc.
- Use keyword density tools to stay between 2-5% density. Avoid "stuffing."
Integrating keywords aligns your copy closely with search intent, signaling relevance to Amazon‘s algorithm. But stay laser focused on your customers‘ needs first and foremost.
Here‘s a quick keyword integration checklist:
|Title Keyword||Camping Cot for Bad Back|
|Bullet 1 Keyword||SUPPORTS SORE BACKS: Ergonomic design eliminates pressure points|
|Bullet 2 Keyword||PORTABLE + LIGHTWEIGHT: Folds up small to fit in car trunks|
|Header Keyword||Enjoy Pain-Free Camping Trips|
|Description Keyword||The adjustable lumbar support and breathable mesh fabric make this camping cot ideal for people with chronic back pain who want to enjoy their favorite outdoor adventures again.|
Rinse and repeat this template for each product!
More Copywriting Tips for Amazon Domination
Round out your listing copy skills with these additional pro tips:
Highlight Unique Benefits and Value
- Don‘t just state features – explain how they benefit customers
- Quantify savings, ease, comfort improvements from buying your product
Leverage Social Proof
- Build trust with reviews, testimonials, ratings, and awards
- Quote experts and brand partners
Use Power Words Strategically
- "Best-in-class," "unrivaled," "guaranteed": convey authority
- "Finally," "At last!": communicate problem-solving
- "Imagine," "Just think…": encourage visualization
Inject Personality When Appropriate
- Use light humor, fun language, or nostalgia when it fits your brand persona
- Avoid overly-dry or formal tone
Follow Amazon Requirements Precisely
- Adhere to title length, bullet point formats, caps, and character limits
Check Spelling, Grammar, and Syntax
- Typos erode buyer confidence and trust
So there you have it – the two essential copywriting qualities for Amazon listings, plus plenty of tips to implement them effectively. Let your product‘s unique value shine through with compelling copy. Need additional guidance or resources? Consider services like SellerBooster for hands-on Amazon listing optimization and copywriting. Feel free to reach out for a free consultation!