As an experienced ecommerce seller, I know how valuable your time is. You likely don‘t want to wait in long lines at the bank when you can conveniently cash checks at your local Walmart.
The good news is that in 2023, Walmart continues to cash personal checks at over 4,700 US store locations with Money Centers! In this detailed guide, I‘ll walk you through everything you need to know about Walmart‘s check cashing services.
Here‘s what we‘ll cover:
- The types of personal checks Walmart cashes
- Check dollar limits and fees
- Step-by-step process to cash your check
- Other checks you can cash at Walmart
- Checks Walmart does NOT cash
- Tips for avoiding rejections or issues
- Walmart MoneyCard benefits and fees
- FAQs on Walmart check cashing
By the end, you‘ll be prepared to cash your checks at Walmart like a pro! Let‘s get started.
Walmart Cashes Pre-Printed Personal Checks
Walmart cashes pre-printed personal checks issued by banks, up to $5,000 per check. This includes:
- Payroll checks
- Cashier‘s checks
- Money order checks
- Bank account withdrawal checks
- Government checks
- 401K/retirement account checks
- Insurance settlement checks
- Most other pre-printed checks
As a seller, having quick access to check cashing for your business can be invaluable. Walmart makes it fast and convenient.
Handwritten personal checks are typically not accepted. I‘ll cover the types of checks Walmart won‘t cash later in this guide.
Walmart Personal Check Cashing Limits and Fees
There are limits on how much Walmart can cash for personal checks:
|Check Type||Maximum Amount|
|Two-party personal checks||$200|
|Tax refund checks||$7,500 (during tax season)|
In my experience, it‘s always smart to call ahead to confirm your local Walmart Money Center can cash larger personal checks. Store maximums can vary by state and management discretion.
Walmart charges competitive check cashing fees based on the check amount:
|$50 – $100||$1.50|
|$100 – $300||$3|
|$300 – $600||$5|
|$600 – $1,000||$8|
|$1,000 – $5,000||$8 plus 1% of amount over $1,000|
The maximum fee for any single check is $8. These fees are deducted directly from the check proceeds, so you don‘t have to pay out of pocket.
According to the Food Marketing Institute, the average check cashing fee at retailers was $3.26 in 2021. So Walmart‘s fees are very competitive.
Step-by-Step Guide to Cashing Personal Checks at Walmart
I‘ve cashed many checks at Walmart Money Centers over the years, so let me walk you through the quick and easy process:
Step 1) Locate a Walmart with a Money Center near you. About 63% of stores offer check cashing services.
Step 2) Bring your original government-issued photo ID and the physical check made payable to you to the Money Center.
Step 3) Politely request to cash your check. I recommend going during weekday hours when it‘s less busy.
Step 4) Provide your photo ID when requested and endorse the check (sign the back).
Step 5) Collect your cash at the end of the transaction, or load the funds to a Walmart MoneyCard if desired.
Step 6) The check cashing fee will be deducted from your check. No other payment is needed.
And that‘s it! The whole process usually takes 10 minutes or less. It‘s the fastest way I‘ve found to convert checks into cash.
Walmart Also Cashes Many Other Check Types
In addition to personal checks, Walmart cashes over 30 other check types including:
- Payroll checks
- Government checks (federal, state, local)
- Tax refund checks
- Cashier’s checks
- Insurance settlement checks
- 401k retirement account withdrawal checks
- Social Security checks
- Royalty checks
- Brokerage account withdrawal checks
- Lottery winning checks
- Money orders
- Traveler‘s checks
- Payable-through drafts (credit union)
- Rebates and refund checks
- Cashier‘s checks
- Pre-printed business checks
- IRA/Roth IRA distribution checks
- Bank checks
This extensive list makes Walmart a versatile option for both personal and business check cashing needs.
Types of Checks Walmart Does NOT Cash
While Walmart cashes many checks, there are some exceptions to be aware of:
- Handwritten checks – Must be pre-printed from a bank/business
- Checks exceeding $5,000 – Varies by location
- Checks payable to cash – Must be made out to your name
- Temporary checks – Starter or checks without your name pre-printed
- Foreign checks – Must be drawn on US banks
- Postdated checks – Must be dated same day or earlier
- Stale dated checks – Generally will not accept if over 180 days old
- Altered checks – Cannot be modified or have unclear handwriting
- Credit card convenience checks – Issued by credit card companies
Knowing these restricted check types can prevent wasted trips or frustration. Always call ahead if you have an unusual check to confirm.
6 Tips to Avoid Check Cashing Issues at Walmart
To maximize success cashing checks at Walmart Money Centers, keep these tips in mind:
1. Verify your ID is current – Expired IDs will be rejected.
2. Endorse properly – Sign your name on the back as it appears on the front.
3. Avoid peak times – Mornings on weekdays are ideal for quicker service.
4. Bring your glasses – Ensure you can read and sign the check properly.
5. Do not pre-date checks – Checks must always be dated same day or earlier.
6. Double check dates – Stale dated checks over 180 days old may be denied.
Following these simple guidelines will make for a smooth, fast check cashing experience!
Walmart MoneyCard – A Convenient Alternative
Instead of receiving cash, Walmart offers a prepaid debit card to load your check proceeds. The Walmart MoneyCard has some nice benefits:
- No fees to reload via check cashing
- Make purchases online or at stores everywhere Visa is accepted
- Get cash back with purchases or withdrawals at ATMs
- Deposit up to $5,000 per day via checks
- Manage your account via the mobile app
- Optional direct deposit to waive monthly fees
There is an upfront cost of $1 to purchase the card. You can choose what works best for your needs when cashing checks.
FAQs About Walmart Check Cashing Services
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about Walmart‘s policies:
Can I cash checks on weekends or holidays?
No, Walmart Money Centers are closed Sundays and major holidays. Check cashing is available Monday through Saturday during open hours.
What is the maximum check amount I can cash?
Personal or payroll checks are limited to $5,000. Larger amounts may be possible at manager discretion if you call ahead.
How long does it take for check funds to be available?
You will receive cash immediately if you choose that option. Checks loaded to a MoneyCard are available the next business day.
Do all Walmart locations cash checks?
No, only approximately 63% of stores have Money Centers that provide check cashing. Use the store finder tool to locate participating stores.
Can I cash a business or work check?
Yes, Walmart cashes pre-printed payroll, business, and work-issued checks up to $5,000 with valid ID.
We just covered everything you need to know to cash checks seamlessly at Walmart in 2023. Millions of customers take advantage of Walmart‘s convenient and low-cost check cashing services every year.
I hope this insider‘s guide from an experienced seller makes your next check cashing trip fast and smooth. Now you can cash those personal and business checks and quickly access your hard-earned money!