As an online seller and ecommerce expert, I’ve helped all kinds of businesses market and manage their products effectively. But when it comes to preparing for your own new arrival, Walmart’s baby registry service offers parents a hassle-free way to get ready for baby.
In this comprehensive 2,800+ word guide, we’ll dive into everything you need to know about creating your Walmart registry from start to finish. Follow along for tips to build the perfect list of baby essentials, management strategies, and how to make the most of Walmart’s registry perks.
An Expert Overview of Walmart’s Baby Registry Program
Walmart’s baby registry allows expecting parents to select products they’ll need for their little one—all in one convenient checklist. According to Walmart, the average baby registry contains about 50 items amounting to $1,500 or more.
Once created, you can share your Walmart registry with friends and family to help them choose gifts for your baby. Instead of bombarding loved ones with various wish lists from different stores, everything is streamlined in one place.
Benefits of Using Walmart’s Baby Registry
Compared to alternatives like Amazon or Target, Walmart offers several advantages:
- All-in-one convenience: One centralized list for all your baby essentials
- Expert recommendations: Product suggestions based on your due date and needs
- generous free Welcome Box: $40+ worth of free baby samples and coupons
- Discounts: Special offers and coupons emailed throughout your pregnancy
- Hassle-free returns: 1 year return window for nursery furniture and big-ticket items
- Gift tracking: See who purchased each registry gift
- In-store registry: Scan and add items in-person at any Walmart store
Now let’s walk through how to sign up, build your registry, and use Walmart’s handy management tools.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Building Your Walmart Baby Registry
You can create a Walmart baby registry either on their website or mobile app. Here are the simple steps to get started:
Online Registry Creation
- Go to Walmart.com and find “Registry” in the top menu
- Click “Create Registry” and select “Baby Registry”
- Enter your due date, name, location and other requested info
- Choose a nursery theme like “Woodland Creatures” to receive related product ideas
- Browse Walmart’s baby items and click “Add to Registry” for anything you want
- Follow additional prompts to complete registry sign-up
Mobile App Registry
- Download the Walmart app on your iOS or Android device
- Tap “Services” from the menu and choose “Baby Registry”
- Input your due date, name, contact details, nursery theme and other pregnancy specifics
- Review suggested items or search for products to begin adding to your list
- Select "Add" next to any items you want to add them to your registry
- Complete sign-up and registry creation
Within 24 hours, expect a Welcome message from Walmart with everything you need to start sharing your list and preparing for baby!
Pro Tip: Browse Walmart’s baby department in-store and scan product barcodes with their app to quickly add items to your registry. No need to purchase first.
Filling Your Registry With Baby Must-Haves
Once your registry framework is set up, it’s time for the fun part—adding all those baby essentials!
Based on my own parenting experience and research, here are some of the most popular categories to include:
Big Ticket Nursery Items
- Crib: A safe, multi-use staple for sleep and playtime
- Dresser: For plenty of storage and changing station setup
- Glider: A comfortable rocking chair for nursing and soothing
- Bassinet: Perfect for keeping baby close those first few months
- Play yard: For naps, diaper changes and playtime portability
I recommend adding bigger items first, since those are key pieces family and friends may want to gift. Popular options are Delta Children�� or Gracos nursery collections.
- Infant car seat: A rear-facing seat for safety and portability
- Stroller: Choose from umbrellas, joggers, and multi-mode options
- Carrier: For hands-free bonding and babywearing convenience
- Diaper bag: Stylish and practical for carrying all baby‘s needs
Top brands carried at Walmart include Graco, Chicco, Britax, and Munchkin.
- Bottles: Stock up on 4oz and 9oz sizes with slow flow nipples
- Bottle brush: For thorough cleaning of bottles
- Drying rack: To air dry all the pieces
- Bibs: Absorbent cloth and plastic styles to catch spills
- High chair: Select one with adjustable height and a 5-point harness
- Dishes: Divided plate, sippy cup, utensils
I like the Dr. Brown‘s bottle variety packs and OXO Tot feeding sets.
Diapering and Health Essentials
- Diapers: Newborn and size 1 diapers to stock up
- Wipes: Fragrance-free and sensitive skin options
- Diaper pail: For odor containment and hands-free disposal
- Diaper cream: Soothing relief from rashes
- Nasal aspirator: To clear mucus and provide relief
- Medicine dispenser: For safe oral medication dosing
- Baby nail clippers: With safety guard for trimming tiny nails
Must-have brands include Huggies diapers, Aquaphor cream, and Frida baby healthcare tools.
Bath and Skin Care
- Tub: Pick a supportive option with sling or bench seat
- Washcloths: Ultra-soft and gentle for delicate skin
- Hooded towels: To keep babies warm and dry after bath time
- Baby body wash: Tear-free formulas and 2-in-1 options
- Baby lotion: Light, hydrating moisturizers
- Diaper rash cream: Soothing protection from wetness
I recommend the Summer Infant or Fisher Price tubs, with Aveeno baby skin products.
Sleep Soothers and Helpers
- Sound machine: Provides calming white noise
- Baby monitor: For video or audio monitoring
- Crib sheets: At least 2 sets of soft, breathable sheets
- Swaddle blankets: For calming and comfortable sleep
- Pacifiers: Try different shapes to find baby‘s preference
- Sleep sacks: Wearable blankets that prevent loose bedding
Must-haves include Owlet video monitor, aden + anais muslin swaddles, and Philips Avent soothies.
Clothing and Accessories
- Onesies: Stock up on short and long sleeve styles
- Pants: Leggings, jeans, joggers in multiple sizes
- Socks: Pairs that stay on those tiny feet
- Hats: Protect baby‘s sensitive skin
- Scratch mittens: Prevent accidental self-scratching
- Jacket: For warmth during stroller walks
- Burp cloths: Absorbent cloths for spills and messes
Carters, Gerber, and Disney clothing essentials are popular registry picks.
Activity and Play Essentials
- Play gym/mat: Provides sensory stimulation
- Rattles and toys: Black and white toys for newborn visual development
- Bouncer: Vibrating seat with toy bar to entertain baby
- Swing: Rocking seat with motion to soothe fussy babies
- Tummy time mat: Promotes motor skill development
- Activity center: Stationary entertainer as baby grows
Infantino makes great early play mats and gyms, while Fisher Price is known for bouncers and swings.
This covers most of the major categories. But feel free to browse all of Walmart’s baby products for any other items you may need!
Pro Tip: Create a separate Wish List on Walmart.com for larger items like furniture to share with family, and a more portable registry list with smaller essentials for friends, coworkers and baby showers.
Expert Tips for Maximizing Your Walmart Baby Registry
As an ecommerce professional, I have a few insider strategies for making the most of your registry:
- Make a budget tallying up costs for your needed items and dream splurges. This gives gift-givers a price range.
- Add items in multiple price tiers to give options for any budget. Don’t forget small $5-$25 items!
- Use the completion discount – when your due date nears, Walmart provides a coupon for remaining items.
- Purchase big-ticket essentials first since those are harder to obtain later. You can still add smaller items after your shower.
- Mark urgent and top picks using Walmart’s priority function so guests know what you really need.
- Share with any potential gift-givers once your initial list is ready, even if your shower date is farther out. This gives more time to purchase and ship gifts.
- Say thank you for any gifts received and update your list so duplication is minimized.
Following this advice will help you strategically maximize your registry for the splurges you really want, and stay organized as your due date gets closer!
Handy Registry Management Tools
One of the best perks of Walmart’s registry is their suite of management features. This allows you to:
- Track gifts received by marking them as “I Got This”
- Get organized with separate “Wants” and “Has” lists
- Modify details like your due date, address, event date or privacy settings
- Share your list via email, text and social media
- Thank guests by recording gifts received and who purchased them
- Stay updated via Walmart’s registry emails with promotions and reminders
I highly recommend using these tools to stay on top of your list. Specifically, record gifts as soon as you receive them and avoid duplicate items.
Walmart makes it easy. When signed into your registry, you can select “Manage Registry” to access all these options in one dashboard. Use them frequently to get the most out of your registry!
Pro Tip: Share your registry link or store pickup code early, about 4-5 months before your due date. This gives guests more time to shop and ship gifts.
Polite Ways to Share Your Walmart Registry
A question many expecting parents have is how do I share my registry information without seeming rude or gift-grabby? As an etiquette refresher:
- Share the link or store pickup code when asked for ideas. Don’t spontaneously bring it up.
- Say “Only if you wish” or “Please don’t feel obligated” when providing the info.
- On shower invitations, add a simple line like “A registry is available at Walmart.com” withoutexpectations.
- Send the registry link if you receive a “We want to send you something special!” message.
- Share your list if throwing a sprinkle shower for second+ babies. Registries are standard here.
Most friends and family will appreciate the registry, since it simplifies picking a meaningful gift. Just provide the details when prompted or relevant. Avoid demanding tones and remember, registry participation is optional.
Walmart Registry Welcome Box – What to Expect
One of the best perks of creating a baby registry on Walmart.com is scoring the free Welcome Box valued around $40.
Within a few weeks after registry sign-up, Walmart will mail this care package to your address. Based on previous boxes, it contains:
- Diaper samples: 1-2 trial size packs of Parent‘s Choice diapers
- Wipes: Travel pack of Parent‘s Choice sensitive wipes
- Pacifier: A classic orthodontic pacifier
- Baby lotion: 1-2oz of Parent‘s Choice lotion
- Coupons: Discounts on Walmart baby items valid for a limited time
- Registry tips: Printout with guidance for managing your list
- Product brochures: Flyers with new baby items in-store
The samples are perfect for trying Walmart’s brand items or packing in your hospital bag. The coupons offer additional savings on top of the completion discount you’ll earn for finishing your registry shopping later.
Pictured: Example of free welcome box items and coupons
This Welcome Box provides a helpful head start on your shopping. And the freebies are a nice perk just for signing up through Walmart!
Walmart Registry Discount and Promos
Aside from the upfront welcome freebies, registering with Walmart also signups you for ongoing savings:
Completion Discount Coupon
- 15% off remaining items 60 days pre-due date
- Given when you reach the finish line for purchasing registry items
Registry Email Promos
- Discount codes and offers on baby gear sent periodically
- Spans pregnancy through baby‘s first birthday
- Offers increasingly target toddler and young child products
Mobile App Coupons
- Personalized coupons on baby items available in-app
- Appear on homepage after sign-up
- Additional mail-in rebates via Ibotta partnership
These discounts can amount to huge savings, especially if you wait to tackle remaining big purchases like strollers and furniture closer to your due date.
Timing the completion coupon with your shower gifts received ensures you get the best deal on remaining essentials! Sign up early so you don’t miss out on any registry-related promos.
Hassle-Free Walmart Baby Registry Returns
Even with the best planning, you may receive duplicate gifts or change your mind on certain items. Not to worry – Walmart offers a generous return timeframe on registry items.
As a baseline, most unopened items can be returned within 90 days with a receipt to any Walmart store. However, they extend the window for these categories:
- Car seats: 1 year return policy
- Strollers: 1 year return policy
- Nursery furniture: 1 year policy
- Crib mattresses: 1 year policy
- Bring the original packaging and item to any Walmart store
- Show your receipt or lookup order via email
- Larger items can be picked up from your home if arranged in advance
Returning is hassle-free if anything is not to your liking or you get duplicate gifts. Take advantage of the 1 year policy on bigger ticket pieces!
Everything You Need to Know for Registry Success
Creating your Walmart baby registry marks an exciting milestone in preparing for baby’s arrival! Take the guesswork out of gear shopping by leveraging their robust selection of top baby brands.
Their suite of management features help you stay organized and share your list politely. Plus, unlock freebies, coupons and an extended return window for worry-free shopping.
Use this guide to create your dream registry checklist, optimized with budgeting tips and prioritization strategies. Before you know it, you’ll have everything needed to welcome your bundle of joy!
Now go enjoy creating that perfect list of baby must-haves. The fun part is stocking up all those sweet essentials. And Walmart‘s registry makes the process easier so you can focus on the precious moments ahead. Wishing you lots of happiness as you prepare for baby‘s impending arrival!