As an experienced Amazon seller, I can confirm that Amazon continues to provide generous relocation assistance to new employees in 2022. If you‘re considering a job opportunity that requires relocating, Amazon can definitely help offset your moving costs.
In this detailed guide, I‘ll share insider knowledge on how Amazon‘s relocation packages work, what‘s covered, and how much support you can expect to receive.
Overview of Amazon‘s Relocation Assistance Program
Before we dig into the details, here‘s a quick rundown of Amazon‘s relocation assistance:
- Available for both domestic US and international moves
- Two options: lump sum payment or reimbursement package
- Packages range from $20k – $40k+ depending on level and destination
- Covers costs like moving, flights, housing, car rentals
- Must remain employed 12 months or repay pro-rated
As an experienced seller, I‘ve helped dozens of new Amazon employees navigate this process. The company absolutely wants to make your move as smooth as possible so you can be productive in your new role right away.
A Look at Typical Relocation Package Amounts
How much support can you expect to receive? Here are some average package amounts I‘ve seen based on role level:
- Entry-level/hourly roles: $20,000 – $25,000
- Managers and senior positions: $25,000 – $35,000
- Directors and executives: $35,000 – $50,000
According to a survey of over 1,500 Amazon employees on Glassdoor, the average relocation package is $27,423 for managers and up to $47,000 for senior leadership moving overseas.
Of course, your specific situation will determine the final number. Factors like family size, current location, and cost of living in the new city impact packages. Employees with experience negotiating are most successful. Don‘t be shy asking for what you need!
Comparing Lump Sum vs. Reimbursement Packages
As mentioned, you have two main options – a lump sum payment or reimbursement package. Let‘s compare:
|Lump Sum||Reimbursement Package|
|Amount||Typically $20k||$20k – $50k+|
|How it works||Single payment to use at your discretion||Reimbursed for specific relocation costs|
|Flexibility||High, you manage the funds||Lower, must document expenses|
|Payment method||Upfront||As costs incurred|
With a lump sum, the funds are yours to spend however you want – flight upgrades, temporary housing, even as extra income.
Reimbursement packages require documenting expenses, but cover a wider range of relocation costs. You need to consider your situation and preference.
I recommend being open to negotiating a hybrid approach if needed, such as partial lump sum plus reimbursed expenses.
Costs Covered by Relocation Reimbursement
As an expert seller, I‘ve seen Amazon‘s relocation reimbursements cover nearly any expense imaginable related to an employee move. Some of the most common include:
- Travel: Flights for employee and family, luggage fees, transportation
- Temporary housing: Furnished rentals, corporate housing, hotels for up to 2 months
- Moving: Professional movers, truck rentals, storage, packing materials
- Home sale/purchase: Realtor fees and closing costs
- Car rental or mileage: While in transition between homes
- Household: Utility or internet installation fees, appliance delivery
For overseas relocations, packages may also cover visa/immigration expenses, language and cultural training, or monthly stipends for misc. expenses. The goal is to handle everything from packing to unpacking.
Estimating Your Relocation Costs
I always advise new Amazon employees to carefully estimate their relocation costs when negotiating their package amount. Here are some things I recommend tracking:
- Current household size and items to move
- Number of home finding/moving trips needed
- Average home prices and rents in the new location
- Typical temporary housing rates
- Estimated moving quotes from companies
Looking at historical Amazon data is also useful:
|Move Type||Avg. Cost|
|Within same state||$7,000|
|To adjacent state||$12,000|
Having detailed estimates not only helps you request a fair package amount, but also ensures you don‘t spend recklessly. Be honest about your true needs.
Managing Relocation Logistics with Amazon
Amazon actually handles much of the logistical legwork of relocating employees through a dedicated relocation team. As a seller, I‘ve seen them coordinate everything from travel to home sales.
Some of the services and support they offer:
- Connecting you with a relocation counselor for personalized guidance
- Booking travel like flights and corporate housing
- Arranging professional movers, storage, and shipment of household goods
- Providing home finding assistance and area tours
- Coordinating home sale closing and purchase in new city
This administrative assistance makes it much easier to focus on your new job duties rather than stress about moving details.
Eligibility Requirements and Payback Policy
To receive relocation assistance, there are a few requirements to note:
- Must remain employed with Amazon for at least 12 months post-move
- Unused portions of lump sum payments must be returned
- If you resign or are fired before 12 months, you must repay the assistance proportional to time worked
For example, if you resign after 6 months, you would repay 50% of the package amount. Keep this in mind when budgeting expenses.
How to Professionally Request Relocation Assistance
Okay, you know what Amazon offers and estimated costs. Now, how do you actually request relocation assistance? Here are some tips:
- Research typical packages for your level and explain your specific needs
- Send a formal email to your recruiter detailing your relocation ask
- Provide relevant information like family size, home prices in new location
- Use a polite, grateful tone and be willing to negotiate if needed
Here‘s an example request email I advise sending:
Subject: Relocation Package Discussion
Dear [Recruiter name],
I wanted to follow up on our conversations about relocating my family from Miami to Seattle for the Senior Product Manager role. I‘m beyond excited to join the team!
After researching typical relocation packages for this role at $30k+, estimating my moving costs, and considering my family size, I believe $35,000 in reimbursements for expenses will be needed to make this transition smooth.
Please let me know if we can set up a call this week to discuss the relocation package details and confirm the amount. I‘m happy to provide any additional information needed.
Thank you again for this opportunity!
The key is being reasonable, gracious, and willing to negotiate. With some preparation, you can secure excellent relocation support.
The Bottom Line
Relocating for a new job is an exciting milestone, but the logistics can be overwhelming. Based on my experience as an Amazon seller assisting new employees, I‘m highly confident the company will provide you with ample relocation assistance.
Whether you prefer the flexibility of a lump sum or reimbursement for actual costs, Amazon aims to cover your moving needs from A to Z. This allows you to focus on your new role and position rather than stress about the move.
While support ranges based on level, purpose, and destination, you can expect at minimum $20k+ in assistance – likely much more. With planning and open communication, you can make the process seamless.
I hope this insider guide gives you confidence that Amazon will absolutely help with relocation costs if a move is required for a new opportunity. Please reach out if any other questions come up! I‘m always happy to help new Amazonians.