Search engine optimization (SEO) is crucial for businesses selling on Amazon, especially wholesalers who have to compete against manufacturers and other wholesalers. With the right SEO strategies, wholesalers can gain an edge on Amazon and attract targeted traffic to their product listings.
This comprehensive guide will provide wholesalers with actionable tips and insights on optimizing for Amazon SEO in 2023.
How the Amazon Search Algorithm Works
To rank highly on Amazon, you need to understand how their search algorithm works and what factors it considers. The current search algorithm is called A10.
Here are some key factors the A10 algorithm looks at:
- Relevance – How closely a product listing matches the shopper‘s search query and intent. Listings with relevant titles, bullets, descriptions and backend keywords tend to rank higher.
- Conversion rate – How well a product converts site visits into sales. Listings with higher sales histories and positive reviews tend to rank better.
- Competitiveness – How competitive the keyword is and how well optimized the competing listings are. Ranking for high competition keywords is harder.
- Trends – Seasonality, current events, and other trends also influence rankings. For example, Christmas related products will see a spike in December.
- Page experience – Load times, mobile friendliness, ease of navigation also impact conversions and rankings.
Optimizing these factors through SEO helps wholesalers rank higher and drive more relevant traffic.
Keyword Research for Wholesalers
Thorough keyword research is the foundation of an effective Amazon SEO strategy. As a wholesaler, you want to target keywords with high commercial intent but relatively low competition.
Here are some tips for wholesalers when doing keyword research:
- Leverage keyword research tools like SellerApp, SEMrush, Helium10, etc. to find low competition keywords.
- Target long-tail keywords like "bulk paper towels for restaurants" instead of just "paper towels". Long tails have lower competition.
- Go after keywords with higher search volume but low Amazon competition. This indicates buyer intent.
- Identify keywords manufacturers are ranking for and target their long-tail variations.
- Use negative keywords to filter out irrelevant queries and get more targeted traffic.
- Research keywords in other categories that your products would be relevant for.
- Track keyword performance over time and adjust your priorities.
Through effective keyword research, wholesalers can discover untapped keywords that can help them rank highly and drive targeted traffic to their listings.
Optimizing Your Amazon Listings
To rank well, wholesalers need to optimize their Amazon listings to satisfy both buyers and the Amazon algorithm.
Title – Include your most important keywords but make sure they flow naturally. Maximize characters allowed.
Bullet Points – Focus on product benefits, details, and keywords. Use spacing and formatting for scannability.
Description – Optimize with keywords but write conversational content focusing on benefits. Include specs, dimensions, etc.
Backend Keywords – Leverage long-tail keywords and variations not used elsewhere on the page.
Images – Use high-quality, consistent images showing key product features and benefits. Include infographics if relevant.
Reviews – Proactively collect positive reviews and minimize negative ones to build social proof.
Off-Amazon Marketing – Drive external traffic to listings through ads, email, social media, influencers.
Amazon Advertising – Use Sponsored Products to target keywords, gain visibility and drive sales.
Availability – Manage inventory to ensure Prime eligibility and prevent going out of stock.
Page Experience – Optimize listing speed, navigation, mobile experience to improve conversions.
Pricing – Offer competitive pricing but don‘t sacrifice too much margin. Discount within limits.
By optimizing these essential elements, wholesalers can create compelling listings that appeal to buyers and rank highly in Amazon‘s search results.
Getting External Traffic to Listings
While on-page SEO is crucial, wholesalers should also utilize off-page tactics like content marketing, social media, email marketing, influencer partnerships and ads to drive qualified traffic to their Amazon listings and increase conversions.
Some effective tactics include:
- Creating blog posts and guides related to your products for organic and paid traffic
- Promoting your products and brand through social media channels
- Building an email list and promoting new arrivals through newsletters
- Collaborating with relevant influencers and brand ambassadors
- Purchasing Google/Facebook/Amazon ads targeted towards your buyer keywords
- Getting backlinks from relevant websites to signal authority to Amazon
Driving external traffic not only boosts sales but also improves rankings as the algorithm favors listings with greater overall popularity and exposure.
Leveraging Amazon Advertising
Amazon‘s advertising platform allows wholesalers to get their listings in front of people actively searching for their products.
Some key programs wholesalers should leverage:
Sponsored Products – Bid on relevant keywords so your listings appear at the top of search results
Sponsored Brands – Combine Sponsored Products with brand-focused ads for greater visibility
Headline Search Ads – Appear at the top of search results before customers even start scrolling
Amazon DSP – Bid on display ads targeted towards your audience on and off Amazon
Stores – Create an Amazon Storefront to promote your brand and products
Used strategically, Amazon advertising provides wholesalers with a major competitive edge in reaching their target audience.
The Importance of Reviews
Positive customer reviews and seller feedback are critical for wholesaler success on Amazon.
Make reviews and reputation a priority by:
- Proactively requesting reviews from satisfied customers
- Responding professionally to negative reviews and feedback
- Incentivizing reviews through giveaways and content creation
- Collecting reviews on your website and other channels to improve brand perception
- Maintaining high order accuracy, quality controls and customer service
Reviews directly impact conversions and search rankings. Wholesalers who manage their brand reputation well can gain an edge.
Common SEO Mistakes to Avoid
Many wholesalers make these common SEO mistakes that hurt their Amazon performance:
- Not doing thorough keyword research
- Stuffing listings with irrelevant keywords
- Using duplicate content across listings
- Not getting external traffic sources
- Relying too much on Amazon advertising
- Ignoring the importance of reviews
- Having lots of stockouts or inventory issues
- Unable to provide competitive pricing
- Failing to analyze competitors and learn from them
By avoiding these mistakes and employing best practices, wholesalers can excel at Amazon SEO.
Long-Term SEO Strategies
For sustained Amazon SEO success, wholesalers need long-term strategies like:
- Content Marketing – Build an educational blog covering your industry for organic visibility and traffic. Guest post on niche sites for backlinks.
- Competitor Analysis – Continuously analyze top competitors for gaps and opportunities. Leverage tools like Jungle Scout, Helium 10, and Jumpsend.
- Winning Link Building – Get backlinks from relevant sites through outreach and contributor content. Increase domain authority.
- Amazon Store Optimization – Create a polished Amazon storefront showcasing your brand. Participate in niche storefronts.
- Social Media Marketing – Build an audience on social channels and drive traffic to your listings. Utilize influencer marketing.
- Amazon Events – Attend Amazon trade shows, summits and networking events to gain insights.
- Stay Updated – Monitor Amazon algorithm and policy changes. Adapt SEO strategies accordingly.
With long-term SEO strategies, wholesalers can build lasting authority and visibility to continually grow on Amazon.
Choosing SEO Tools and Software
SEO tools and software allow wholesalers to analyze data, track competitors, monitor rankings, automate campaigns and streamline workflows.
Some popular tools include:
- Jungle Scout – Product research, estimating sales potential, tracking listings
- Helium 10 – Keyword research, listing optimization, competitor analysis
- SellerApp – Keyword tracking, competitor monitoring, listing audit
- SEMrush – SEO audits, backlink analysis, organic research
- Jumpsend – Email marketing and automation for Amazon sellers
- Teikametrics – Software for Amazon advertising optimization and bid management
- Seller Interactive – Full-funnel Amazon growth agency for brands of all sizes
The right tools provide wholesalers with the insights, automation and capabilities required for seamless Amazon SEO management.
The Role of Data and Analytics
Wholesalers run on data. To measure the ROI of your SEO efforts, tap into the wealth of data Amazon provides in Seller Central, keyword tools and analytics platforms.
Key metrics to track include:
- Organic traffic to listings from Amazon search
- Click-through-rate (CTR) for keywords and campaigns
- Conversion rate optimization over time
- Sales attributed to organic, paid and external traffic
- Review frequency, sentiment and ratings
- Ranking movements for target keywords
- Competitor actions, ratings, pricing shifts
Analyzing and optimizing based on this data is crucial for maximizing the return from your SEO investments.
Amazon SEO Trends for Wholesalers in 2023
Major SEO trends wholesalers should prepare for in 2023 include:
- Voice search optimization will become more prominent
- Short form video content like TikTok will gain traction
- Listing load times and mobile experience will become bigger ranking factors
- Advertising costs may keep rising with inflation
- Personalization and customer experience will be differentiators
- International expansion into new Amazon marketplaces
- Greater competition as more businesses get on Amazon
- More opportunity in leveraging external traffic sources
Wholesalers who stay ahead of these trends will be able to adapt their SEO strategies for continued success.
The Bottom Line
With the right SEO approach, wholesalers can surface their listings, attract targeted traffic, boost conversions and ultimately grow profits on Amazon.
Consistent optimization across on-page and off-page factors, long-term strategy, leveraging data, and adapting to trends will position wholesalers for sustainable Amazon SEO success.
This guide covers key elements wholesalers need to prioritize for their SEO efforts in 2023. Focus on providing real value to customers, and the results will follow.