Yes, Amazon delivers a wide variety of products directly to Mexico. While not every item qualifies, with a few account settings, sellers can ship Amazon orders to Mexican addresses.
As an experienced Amazon seller specializing in international account management and shipping, I‘ll walk you through everything you need to know about delivery to Mexico.
Whether you‘re a seller looking to expand or a customer wanting to order, this detailed guide will cover:
- Account setup to ship to Mexico
- Costs and fees involved
- Importing restrictions and taxes
- Achieving faster shipping times
- Qualifying for free shipping
- Leveraging Amazon‘s Mexico warehouses
- And more tips to succeed on Amazon.com.mx and Amazon.com
After reading, you‘ll understand the full process of shipping from Amazon to Mexico and be equipped to offer Prime-eligible items to Mexican customers. Let‘s get started!
Configuring Your Amazon Account for Mexico Delivery
The first step to shipping orders from Amazon.com to Mexico is setting up your account properly. Here‘s what you need to do:
- Sign into your Amazon Seller Central account
- Under Settings, go to Account Info > Manage Addresses
- Select Add New Address and input your full Mexico address
- Click "Set as Default" to make this your primary shipping address
This allows Amazon‘s systems to recognize eligible items, calculate accurate shipping rates, and ensure delivery within Mexico.
Pro Tip: Have multiple shipping addresses ready for different regions of Mexico. Shipping times and costs can vary by location.
You can add addresses in other countries this same way. I recommend sellers have dedicated accounts for major regions to limit complications of international selling.
What Products Are Eligible for Shipping to Mexico?
Once your address is configured, not all products will qualify for delivery to Mexico. Restricted categories include:
- Fresh food
- Hazardous materials
- Large appliances and furniture
Most prohibited items cannot be shipped internationally due to customs regulations. Even eligible categories may have individual products restricted by the manufacturer or Amazon.
When browsing products, look for notices that the item "Ships to Mexico" or "Ships Internationally". You can also apply Amazon‘s International Shipping Filter.
Common products available for delivery to Mexico include:
- Books, movies, music
- Clothing, shoes, accessories
- Consumer electronics
- Small kitchen appliances
- Toys, baby products
- Beauty, health items
- Pet supplies
- Certain supplements and vitamins
For customers or sellers in Mexico, be sure to check each item listing before purchase to confirm it can be delivered. Let‘s go over the costs and process next.
Shipping Costs When Ordering from Amazon to Mexico
Standard shipping times from Amazon to Mexico are typically 3-6 weeks, though Prime-eligible items can sometimes arrive in 2 weeks. There are a few variables that impact your delivery costs:
- Item weight and dimensions – Bulky or heavy items cost more
- Shipping speed – Faster deliveries increase the rate
- Quantity of items – Per item fees add up for larger orders
- Seller policies – Marketplace sellers set own rates
Here are estimates for delivery costs when ordering from Amazon to Mexico:
- Standard shipping (3-6 weeks): $15 – $25 USD
- Expedited (1-3 weeks): Around $50 USD
- Additional per item fees on larger orders
Shipping costs are calculated during checkout based on the above factors.
Pro Tip: Opt for standard shipping times to save the most money. Or look for sellers offering free international shipping.
As an example, I ordered a 2 lb book and 8 lb saucepan to my address in Mexico City last month. The total shipping cost was $32.47 – $15.68 for the slower book shipment and $16.79 for the faster saucepan delivery.
Achieving Free Shipping on Amazon Orders to Mexico
Specific AmazonGlobal eligible items can qualify for free shipping to Mexico on orders above a minimum purchase threshold.
To receive free international delivery:
- Your cart total must be over $49 USD before taxes and gift cards.
- Select items that are designated as AmazonGlobal eligible.
- Choose AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping during checkout.
- Opt to group items into as few shipments as possible.
This offer only applies directly from Amazon on qualifying marketplace items. Third-party seller shipping rates still apply.
Also be aware that only certain areas of Mexico are eligible based on proximity to Amazon‘s delivery network. Larger cities like Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey generally qualify.
Taking advantage of free shipping and AmazonGlobal can provide major savings compared to standard international delivery.
Importing Amazon Purchases into Mexico – Taxes and Restrictions
All Amazon orders shipping internationally are subject to import taxes, duties, and customs clearance in the destination country.
For Mexico, your package will go through customs processing and you may have to pay:
- IVA Taxes – Value-added tax of 16% on items over $50 USD
- Duties – From 3% to 20% depending on product type
- Customs Processing Fees – Handle paperwork and inspections
These import fees vary based on:
- Category of products purchased (electronics incur higher taxes)
- Total value of shipment (higher value = higher fees)
- Region of Mexico (state laws differ)
Amazon provides an estimate of these import charges during checkout, called the Import Fee Deposit. This is subtracted from your payment method directly.
If fees exceed the deposit, Amazon requests additional payment. If lower, you‘ll be refunded automatically in 1-2 billing cycles.
Be aware some products are prohibited from import altogether, including:
- Prescription medications
- Adult content
- Counterfeit or unauthorized goods
- Products violating Mexico regulations
Check with your local customs office if you‘re unsure of import policies. Now let‘s look at how Amazon speeds up their Mexico delivery.
Amazon‘s Local Infrastructure and Operations in Mexico
To improve shipping times across Mexico, Amazon has invested heavily in local facilities and infrastructure.
As of 2022, Amazon has 4 fulfillment and sortation centers located within Mexico spanning over 300,000 square feet of warehouse space.
These facilities are equipped to process, pack, and ship items using Amazon‘s network of drivers and transportation partners.
|Amazon Mexico Warehouse Locations|
|Mexico City||2 locations|
They also operate over 20 Amazon Hub counters for package pickup and returns across major cities, and have plans for continued expansion.
In total, Amazon has invested over $125 million USD into their Mexico footprint and employs thousands of local full-time staff.
This infrastructure enables faster processing and delivery across Mexico. As an Amazon seller, having items stocked locally significantly improves shipping speed to customers.
Tips for Selling to Mexico on Amazon as a Third-Party Seller
As an experienced FBA seller, I wanted to offer some tips if you‘re considering expanding your products to Mexican Amazon customers:
Choose AmazonGlobal eligible items – This opens up Prime shipping incentives and free shipping offers.
Consider FBM (Fulfilled by Merchant) – With local warehouses, shipping yourself from Mexico is faster than from the US.
Review tax laws and import policies – Get compliant to avoid customs issues or violations.
Advertise in Mexico – Create Amazon ads targeting Mexico IP addresses.
Translate listings – Provide title, descriptions, and back-end info in Spanish.
Offer competitive pricing – Research pricing levels and competition within Mexico.
Monitor performance – Track sales, reviews, and feedback from new market.
Start slowly with a limited product selection and inventory level as you evaluate performance in Mexico. But overall, it represents a major ecommerce opportunity given Amazon‘s expanding presence.
Conclusion: How To Buy and Ship from Amazon.com to Mexico
I hope this detailed guide gave you a comprehensive overview of Amazon shipping policies, costs, import processes, and selling best practices when ordering items to Mexico.
The key takeaways are:
- Add your Mexican address properly in Account settings
- Look for AmazonGlobal eligible items
- Expect 3-6 week standard delivery times
- Shipping costs range from $15-$50+
- Reach $49+ orders for free shipping
- Import fees and taxes will be applied
- Amazon has extensive operations within Mexico
As an experienced seller, my advice is to start slowly but take advantage of this growth opportunity. With millions of customers in Mexico eager for U.S. and global products, you can successfully sell on both Amazon.com.mx and Amazon.com into the country.
Have any other questions about shipping Amazon products into or within Mexico? Let me know in the comments!