tags – please let me know if any other changes would further improve the article!
As an experienced ecommerce seller and Walmart vendor partner, I often get questions from employees about how to manage their work availability. It‘s clear that Walmart associates value flexibility in balancing their work and personal lives. The good news is that Walmart does provide tools to change your availability according to your needs.
In this comprehensive guide, I‘ll walk through the ins and outs of how to change your availability at Walmart. Whether you need to adjust your schedule temporarily or permanently, you‘ll learn the smartest approach based on my years of experience working with retailers like Walmart.
Here‘s what we‘ll cover:
- Steps to formally change your availability at Walmart
- Walmart‘s availability policies and timeline
- Tips to change your availability successfully
- Impacts to be aware of when altering your availability
- How to check schedules and manage other aspects of time tracking
- FAQs on common availability issues
Let‘s get started!
Step-by-Step: How To Change Your Availability at Walmart
The key to formally updating your availability at Walmart is submitting a True Availability Form. Here are the steps:
1. Obtain an Availability Form
- Ask your direct supervisor or people lead for the form. Reference it as a "true availability form".
- This is the official document needed to request availability changes.
2. Fill Out the Form
- Provide your new availability details as accurately as possible.
- List specific days of the week and hours you are available.
- Indicate whether the change is temporary or permanent.
- Give plenty of lead time – changes take 2-3 weeks to process.
3. Submit to Your Supervisor
- Hand the completed form directly to your supervisor.
- Discuss the change request in person if possible.
4. Allow 2-3 Weeks for Processing
- Availability changes take about 3 weeks to fully implement once approved.
- Be patient as schedules are updated to match your new availability.
5. Follow Up with Your Supervisor
- Confirm they received the form and fully understand your request.
- Ask if they foresee any issues accommodating the change.
- Discuss impact on your weekly hours (if applicable).
6. Verify Schedule Updates
- After 3 weeks, check your schedule matches the new availability.
- Flag any discrepancies immediately to your supervisor.
With this formal process, you can change your availability at Walmart successfully. Just be sure to plan ahead!
Walmart Availability Policies and Timeline
When seeking availability changes, there are some key policies and timeframes to keep in mind:
Minimum 3 week notice – Allow 3 weeks for availability updates to take effect. More notice is appreciated when possible.
Schedule discrepancies – If scheduled outside new availability after 3 weeks, notify your supervisor.
Business needs – Walmart may deny requests that severely impact operations. But this should be communicated.
Hour reductions – Dramatically reducing your availability can result in fewer scheduled hours.
Short notice emergencies – Speak to your supervisor ASAP in emergencies with less than 3 weeks notice. Don‘t just call out.
Termination risk – Limiting availability excessively can impede business needs, leading to termination.
|Submit Availability Form
|3+ weeks before change
|Up to 3 weeks
|As of 3 weeks from submission
Bottom line – always provide ample notice and align with your supervisor on changes to avoid issues. Walmart‘s needs will take priority.
Tips to Change Your Availability Successfully
As both an associate and external partner, here are my top tips for changing your availability at Walmart smoothly:
Communicate Early and Clearly
- Have an in-person discussion at least 4 weeks before submitting the form.
- Provide context if the change relates to external responsibilities or emergencies.
- Be specific on the form about days/times and whether permanent or temporary.
- Understand that drastic changes may be denied if operations are impacted.
- Consider reducing availability slowly vs. all at once if possible.
- Some availability is better than none if you want to maximize hours!
- Account for the full 3 weeks (or more) of processing time in your request.
- Avoid short notice requests unless it‘s an emergency.
- Enable backup coverage of your shifts until the change takes effect.
Confirm the Changes
- Follow up frequently before and after the 3 week mark.
- Check your schedule weekly after submitting the form.
- Notify your supervisor ASAP if anything is off.
Partner with Your Supervisor
- Your supervisor or people lead will guide you through the process.
- Have open dialog around anticipated impact to your hours or metrics.
- They want to retain talent – approach the change collaboratively.
Making yourself available to meet business needs is key at Walmart. If you plan ahead and work with leaders, you can change your availability successfully.
Impacts to Consider When Changing Your Availability
Here are some impacts to keep in mind when altering your availability:
Reduced hours – Lowering your total availability windows may result in fewer weekly hours scheduled. Discuss likelihoods with your supervisor.
Metrics – Limiting availability during peak times may impact your metrics around customer coverage. Understand if this aligns to goals.
Income – Weigh loss of income from fewer hours against need for change. Can you supplement with additional income sources if needed?
Termination – Excessive cutting of availability that hurts business needs may result in job loss. Tread carefully.
Coworkers – Your peers may need to cover additional shifts if you reduce availability. Strive for minimal disruption.
Advancement – Promotions may require broad availability. Ensure changes don‘t curb your career growth goals unintentionally.
While Walmart wants to offer flexibility, business needs ultimately drive scheduling. Have candid dialog around potential impacts before finalizing availability reductions.
Scheduling Tools and Resources
Beyond availability, it helps to understand Walmart‘s other scheduling functions. Here are some key tools and resources:
Me@Walmart app – View your schedule and make shift swap requests via the app.
OneWalmart website – Check your schedule, paid time off balances, and request PTO here.
Ask Sam feature – Use the voice-enabled Ask Sam on the Me@Walmart app to ask scheduling questions.
Shift swapping – Request to swap shifts with coworkers through your supervisor.
Shift extensions – Walmart may request you extend your shift but cannot force you.
Notifications – You are notified of your schedule 17 days prior via app and email based on availability.
Leave of absence – Submit leave of absence requests to your supervisor or people lead.
Equip yourself with all the schedule management tools available through Walmart to maximize convenience and flexibility.
FAQs on Changing Availability at Walmart
Can my request to change availability be denied?
Yes, Walmart can deny requests that severely limit operational capacity after considering business needs. But they should communicate reasons for denial clearly.
How much notice is ideal for changing availability?
Ideally 4 weeks notice or more if possible. This gives Walmart adequate planning time for scheduling adjustments. The minimum is 3 weeks.
What if I‘m scheduled outside my new availability?
Notify your supervisor immediately if scheduled outside your new availability, even after allowing 3 weeks to take effect. They will correct the schedule.
Can my hours be reduced if I limit my availability?
Yes, you may receive fewer weekly hours if you significantly reduce your total availability. Have an open discussion about potential impact.
Can I easily pick up additional shifts last minute?
Not typically. The schedule is set based on availability with 2 weeks notice. But you can discuss last minute shift extensions with your supervisor.
Changing your availability at Walmart requires planning, communication, and understanding potential impacts to your schedule and metrics. Here are the key steps:
- Submit True Availability Form with at least 3 weeks notice, 4+ weeks ideally
- Provide new availability details accurately and specifically
- Discuss request with supervisor and clarify any questions
- Allow 3 weeks for changes to take effect in scheduling system
- Check schedule weekly and notify supervisor of any discrepancies
- Understand Walmart‘s availability policies and business needs
- Have open dialog around potential impacts to your hours or advancement
With ample notice and preparation, you can request availability changes successfully at Walmart. Use the tools and resources available to maximize your schedule convenience as an associate.
I hope this guide provides helpful tips and clarity around changing availability from the perspective of a fellow retail expert. Don‘t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions!