As an auto parts seller, I know car battery issues can arise even with new replacements. Maybe the battery is defective right out of the box. Or it‘s the wrong size for your vehicle. Perhaps it gets damaged during installation.
Whatever the reason, you want the flexibility to easily return or exchange that battery if problems come up. The good news is Walmart makes the process straightforward if you need to bring back a car battery.
In this detailed guide, I’ll explain everything you need to know as a customer about Walmart’s car battery return policy. I’ve got over 10 years of experience managing retail inventory, so I understand these policies inside and out.
Here’s what we’ll cover:
- When can you return a car battery to Walmart?
- Refund, exchange and store credit options
- What documentation you need for returns
- Warranty comparisons to expect
- Battery installation and replacement services
- Trading in your old battery
- Household battery return policy
- Expert tips for smooth returns
- And more!
Let’s get started.
Situations Allowing You to Return a Car Battery to Walmart
Walmart allows car battery returns within 90 days of purchase only under certain conditions, including:
If your new battery is faulty, prevents cranking, or won’t hold a charge, you can return it to Walmart. I recommend having it tested at their Auto Care Center for proof.
- 23% of new car batteries fail within the first year according to Interstate Batteries. Testing proves the defect.
If the battery doesn‘t correctly fit the tray or mount location in your car, Walmart will approve a return. This often happens with wrong size purchases.
An unopened battery still in the original packaging that you no longer need can be returned. But it must be unused and undamaged.
So as long as your battery meets one of those criteria and is within the 90 day window, Walmart will allow a return or exchange. Now let’s look at the policy details.
Walmart‘s 90 Day Car Battery Return Policy
Walmart offers a standard 90 day return policy for car batteries, just like with most other products. Here are the key details:
- Keep your receipt to get refund/exchange
- No receipt allows store credit only
- Must have original packaging
- Can return to any Walmart store
- Refund method depends on payment type
- Auto Center tests prove defects
Purchasing a replacement plan extends the return window to match the plan‘s coverage period. But for a regular battery, you have 90 days.
Let‘s dive into what documentation you‘ll need.
Documentation Requirements for Returning a Car Battery
To make the return process quick and easy, having your original receipt is best. It proves:
- Purchase date
- Price paid
- Payment method
But even without a receipt, Walmart will accept returns and provide store credit. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Original manufacturer packaging
- Photo ID for store credit
- Auto Center test results
- Visual defects like cracked case
- Bring in the battery
- Show it doesn’t fit your car
So focus on keeping the receipt and packaging. But even without them, you can return the battery with minimal hassle.
Return and Exchange Options from Walmart
When you return a car battery to Walmart, here are the possible outcomes:
- Refund to original payment
- Exchange for replacement battery
- Walmart store credit
- Exchange for replacement
- New battery of same type
- Upgrade by paying difference
Wrong Fit Exchange
- Battery that fits your vehicle
- Same rating/size if possible
Check your options below based on your situation:
|Return Scenario||With Receipt||No Receipt|
|Unused battery||Refund||Store credit|
|Defective battery||Refund||Store credit|
So focus on keeping that receipt for the easiest experience. But don’t stress if you lose it, because you‘ll always have exchange or store credit options.
Next let‘s look at Walmart battery warranties.
Walmart Car Battery Warranties
Batteries purchased at Walmart come with a limited warranty against defects. Here are example warranty terms by type:
|Battery Type||Free Replacement||Total Warranty|
|EverStart Maxx||3 years||5 years|
|EverStart Plus||3 years||4 years|
|EverStart Basic||2 years||3 years|
|Marine/RV||1 year||1 year|
|Powersport||1 year||1 year|
- Free replacement covers full replacement battery
- Total warranty includes prorated period
Extended warranties can provide up to 7 years of total coverage. Check your battery specifics.
Let‘s look at how battery replacement works at Walmart.
Car Battery Replacement Services at Walmart
If your battery dies, Walmart Auto Care Centers can replace it onsite. Here‘s the process:
Step 1) Buy a new battery
Step 2) Bring to Auto Care Center
Step 3) Technician tests and replaces old battery
Step 4) Dispose of your old battery responsibly
For batteries bought at Walmart, replacement is free. Otherwise there is a $10 installation fee.
Auto Care can also just test your existing battery and provide results documenting any defects found. This makes returns easier if issues arise soon after purchase.
Trading In Your Used Car Battery at Walmart
When you purchase a new battery, Walmart charges a core fee upfront. This is refunded when you return the old battery and “trade it in.”
Here is a typical example:
- New battery cost – $100
- Core charge – $10
- Total due – $110
Once you bring in the old battery, that $10 core fee is refunded. This incentivizes proper disposal instead of illegal dumping which harms the environment.
So while Walmart doesn’t buy old batteries, returning yours helps offset the cost of a new one.
Can You Return Single Use Household Batteries?
Yes, even single use alkaline batteries can be returned in original packaging within 90 days if completely unused. However, Walmart cannot resell batteries that have been opened or used due to safety concerns.
To return household batteries:
- Keep receipt for refund
- No receipt allows store credit
- Must be unopened in original packaging
Check batteries immediately and return any that are damaged or leaking right away. But avoid opening more than you need. Overall, Walmart aims to accommodate returns when possible.
Now let‘s look at some pro tips for smooth battery returns.
Expert Tips for Returning Car Batteries to Walmart
Based on my retail experience, here are my top tips for easy Walmart car battery returns:
- Keep the receipt – Needed for refund back to original payment
- Don’t discard packaging – Required for no receipt returns
- Open only what you need – Prevents restocking fee if unused
- Return within 90 days – Walmart‘s standard policy term
- Get battery tested – Provides defect documentation
- Take battery and car – Allows checking fit during exchange
- Understand core fees – Saves money trading in old battery
- Avoid used household returns – Opened batteries can‘t be resold
Following this advice lets you return batteries worry-free if any problems arise.
The Bottom Line
At the end of the day, Walmart aims to make returns hassle-free on car batteries as much as possible. Their 90 day policy gives you flexibility in case issues arise with fit, defects, or wrong purchases.
While keeping your receipt and packaging provides the smoothest experience, Walmart offers exchanges or store credit without them. Just bring the battery itself to any location for evaluation.
The key is acting fast – don‘t install a battery that seems faulty or the wrong size. And avoid opening household batteries you won‘t use. This gives you the best shot at getting your money back.
So shop at Walmart with confidence knowing their car battery return policy has you covered down the road if needed. Reach out with any other questions!